Monday, May 2, 2011

Quit Complaining!

Recently Andrew told me that I complain too much.  I was a little hurt to hear those words come out of my hubby's mouth.  But, I thought about it and he's right.  Since we've been in Connecticut I have done (probably more than) my fair share of complaining.  I complain about the weather, our small apartment, not having a full-time teaching position, being so far from home, the lack of "good" (tex-mex) restaurants, having to pay for parking, lack of parking . . . the list just goes on and on - from actual worthy-of-being-complained-about things right on down to menial things that typically (at least, typically before Connecticut) I wouldn't complain about.  All of this complaining is - surprise surprise - not helping my situation or mood at all.  I've been complaining to let others know how I feel in hopes that they'll agree with me and I'll know someone feels the same way I do.  However, more often than not, it just ruins the mood, and then I feel worse that I'm the ONLY ONE who feels this way.  So, while Connecticut may not be on the top of my list of places I'd like to live, I DO live here and I may as well get used to it.  While we won't be here forever (phew) we will still be here for another year or two.  Why complain and have a bad attitude for that long, when I can choose to change.  (Not that it'll be easy! Don't expect to see me with a big smile plastered on my face daily because I'm SO HAPPY to be here in this state . . . but I'll try my best!)  So, with that said, I am choosing to stop complaining (so much) and to rejoice in the truth that God has placed us here for a reason and it was not just so he could turn this Texan into a popsicle while pointing down and laughing at her from Heaven.  God is good and He is using this opportunity to teach me things and I just need to stop complaining and start listening to what He's saying.  With that said, I thought I'd make a list of 10 things I LIKE about Connecticut.  So . . . here goes:

1.  we are close to NYC and Boston
2.  summer is relatively mild
3.  we don't get tornados
4.  tons of flowering trees in the Spring (when it finally gets here) are beautiful
5.  CT is a largely Democratic state
6.  Ray and Mike's, Nica's Market, Cafe Romeo - yummy restaurants I will miss when we leave
7.  Fall - gorgeous colors!
8.  beach is only minutes away
9.  several fun festivals to go to

and last, but not least, and certainly most important:

10. all of the wonderful people we have met and are now good "refrigerator friends" with


Okay . . . that was harder than I thought it would be . .  . I had a lot of trouble coming up with 8 and 9.  In fact, as I'm typing this I have yet to fill in number 9.  But, I'm sure it'll be filled in before I post this.  At least . . . I hope it will be.  Hmmmmm . . . I need to think some more.  Hopefully, as time goes on and I am more positive, my list will grow.  In fact, I'll toss in one more now that the juices are flowing:

11.  awesome healthcare through Andrew's job


"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life -- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."  Philippians 2:14-16 NIV (emphasis mine)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great way to love your husband, too! I'm learning the blessings of a good attitude right along with you, Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete