Friday, October 22, 2010

New Job

I started working at Michael's this week and I LOVE it!  I've never done retail before, but I am actually really enjoying it.  (Don't worry, I still love teaching, but it is really nice working with adults...)  Right now I'm just a seasonal cashier (that's how they were able to hire me, since I've already arranged to be out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas), but hopefully once that's over, I'll be able to stay on as a regular employee.  I am having fun learning how to be a cashier.  I know it sounds silly, but I think most people probably worked retail in some form or fashion while they were in either high school or college.  I, however, never had that opportunity so I feel like I'm getting to do it now.  =)  Prior to this, the only jobs I've worked have been daycare or school, so this is totally new to me! 
As many of you know, I've really struggled finding work up here in Connecticut.   Back in September, I finally decided to let go of my pride and apply for anything.  I started applying to any retail place that I enjoyed shopping at (discounts, people!) - Barnes and Noble, Target, Michaels, etc.  Nothing really ever came of it and I accepted a part time Team Leader position with the company I tutored with last spring.  Then, while Andrew was in South Korea, Michael's called me and left a message asking me to come in for an interview if I was still interested.  I seriously considered not calling them back, seeing as how I already had a job to fill some of my time.  The more I thought about it, I decided that there was no harm in at least going in and checking it out.  So, I called them back and scheduled an interview for the next day.  I went in and we immediately started talking about my availability (I'd only put M-F 8-3 because I'd need afternoons for tutoring, and I didn't really fancy working nights and weekends - that's my time with Andrew.).  I told them I was willing to be a little flexible if they could work with me, which they seemed willing to do.  Then, things took a turn for the worse.  I said, "I don't know if this is a deal-breaker or not, but I already have plans to be away for both Thanksgiving and Christmas."  She replied with, "Well . . . yes, that kind of is a deal-breaker."  So I said, "Thank you for your time." and I shook her hand and left.  I was out in my car plugging in my GPS for home when I heard a tap tap tap on my window.  I looked up and she was standing there.  She said that actually she needed seasonal cashiers and they could work with the availability I'd put down and it would be fine for me to be gone for both Thanksgiving and Christmas!  Well, when that happened I felt like I'd be foolish to say no.  I truly felt like God was saying, "Here you go, Sarah.  I've worked it all out for you.  You just have to say yes."  So I did.  I eagerly said I was definitely interested and, after they ran a background check, I started work there this past Monday. 
I was intimidated at first.  I'd never worked in retail before, so I was kind of nervous.  I always feel that way (as I think most of us do) when I'm starting something new.  But, my fears quickly subsided.  Everyone was really friendly and very helpful.  True, there is a lot to remember, but I think I'm doing a decent job keeping up and eventually it'll be second nature - just like teaching was.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.  =)  And I am SO THANKFUL to have this job (as well as the tutoring job).  God is truly amazing and this job is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment