Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fall in New England



I have come to the realization, after living in New England for one year and experiencing all of the seasons, that Fall is my favorite season.  It is absolutely beautiful here.  I love how Fall looks; I love how Fall sounds; I love how Fall smells; I love how Fall tastes; and I love how Fall feels.  Let me explain . . .

Fall in New England looks beautiful.  There are so many colors here that, sadly, we did not see in Texas.  The leaves here change to reds, oranges, and yellows.  The red leaves are my favorites because you don't really see those in Texas. 

The Fall sounds I am referring to are the sounds of the wind blowing the leaves in the trees.  I love the rustling sound the dying leaves make when the wind tickles them. 

Fall smells . . . generally speaking, the Fall smells I refer to are linked with food, but not always!  Pies baking, candles burning, or the smell of people starting to use their fireplaces that lingers in the air when you first step outside.  I am a big fan of the Fall smells.

Did you know that Fall tasted?  I didn't until I really thought about it, but Fall has so many great tastes - pumpkin, apples (and of course all of the pies that go along with those particular flavors), squash, even chili.  Granted, in Texas you may not be making chili in the Fall . . . but up here it turns cooler sooner so a big pot of chili is perfect to warm you up.

And finally, Fall feels cool.  It's the perfect weather - comfortably cool during the day and quite chilly at night when the sun goes down.  Perfect weather for jeans and long sleeves!  Completely different from Texas where the "cool" weather doesn't come until November or so (if you're lucky!). 

All of these things have led me to one conclusion - I Love Fall in New England, and I'm so glad it's here!   

Tanner loves it too!



1 comment:

  1. I'll second this! Living in Texas, I had very little idea what fall really was--it's kind of the least of the seasons down there, even in the colder northern part, where you do get the smoking chimney smells in October or so, but not so much the changing leaves. Up in this part of the country, it may be the best season of all.

    ReplyDelete