Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Daddy Daughter Dates

Father's Day is coming up this Sunday and tonight I was thinking about my Dad.  We used to go on Daddy Daughter dates.  I LOVED them!  My dad and I just have this special connection and I always love getting to spend a few one-on-one moments with him.  He is a typical working class dad - always busy - so it was really nice when he made extra time just for me, and he did it frequently.
I imagine these "special dates" (or sometimes moments) started long before I can remember.  The first one could have been when I superglued my mouth shut because I so desperately wanted to be outside where he was, or it could have been the time when we were enjoying popsicles on the front porch (one in each hand) after he finished mowing the lawn.
These dates certainly included the million times he tucked me in (yes, every night, all the way through my senior year of high school) and frequently had brief (and sometimes not-so-brief) conversations with me and Big Doggie (because, after all, Christmas was just around the corner).  They included walks around the block after dinner and talks in the evening on the big swing about everything and nothing.  They included going with him to his office and playing secretary one Saturday morning while he worked.  They included riding in his Honda Del Sol with the top down and the heater blasting (because it was winter) on our way to Captain Billy Whizzbang's for hamburgers.  They included walking to Waco High School to pick up the car and go get mom for lunch.  They included walking to Fuddruckers for lunch during Christmas Break my senior year of high school, and going to Trujillos for lunch for my 18th birthday.  They included sleeping in the living room with me during the "tornado", and on my bed with me when I was too scared to sleep in it by myself (after the giant cockroach - major ick factor!).  They included helping me with Science Fair (because science is so not my thing).
I'd say they even included walking me down the aisle on my wedding day, and the brief moments we shared beforehand.  I'd go so far as to say they included the notes I, more often than not, found in my lunchbox in elementary school from him - all of which I still have.  And, of course there were the more obvious ones that we officially called Daddy Daughter Dates, like our dinner date at Fuddruckers one night.  Every single one of those moments spent with my Daddy are precious to me and I look forward to having many more.

Daddy,

I miss you terribly.  Texas and Connecticut are separated by way too many states.  I look forward to the day when we live closer together again and can have more Daddy Daughter Dates . . . and perhaps eventually, some Grandaddy Granddaughter dates too.  I love you more than words can say.  Thank you so much for all of the wonderful memories you've given me.

I'll love you forever and always,

Sarah


Here are a few of my favorite recent pics of me and my Daddy:


I love this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment