Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Am I Seriously 30?

On August 14, I turned thirty years old.  It was a little traumatic.  Normally, I don't mind birthdays and I'm fine with getting older...but this particular birthday bothered me.  As it crept closer and closer I became more and more in denial.  How could I possibly have lived 30 years already?  Where did the time go?  Why is my life still seemingly in transition?  Shouldn't I be past that nonsense now?  I always thought by the time I was 30 I would have a house and kids.  I figured I'd be unemployed by choice (to be a stay-at-home mom) and my life would be set.  I thought that by thirty, Andrew and I would be in a forever kind of place.  Clearly, I was mistaken.  It would seem God had a different idea of what thirty would look like for me.  So...no kids...no house...no career...and still in limbo as far as where we'll settle for (fingers crossed) ever.

But, I still take comfort in the fact that my God is bigger than all of that.  He has a plan for me and my life and it is good.   It might not be in my timing, but it will be made perfect in His.  So, I continue to wait.

And, while I wait, I have a completely awesome husband to wait with who made my thirtieth birthday totally amazing.  Since turning thirty was kinda a big deal, I told him I wanted to go to New York City for the weekend after my birthday.  So, he made it happen.  We went down on Friday night and stayed in the Millennium Hilton at Ground Zero.  We had an amazing view of the reflecting pools and the towers being built.  



On Saturday, we went to Shake Shack for lunch (yum!) and, thanks to Andrew, my brother and my in-laws surprised me!  That afternoon, after getting a cupcake from Sprinkles, we went and saw the 9/11 memorial and then, after a rushed dinner, we went and saw Jersey Boys.  Love.













On Sunday, we went to the Central Park Zoo, S'Mac, and then Ellis Island.















Finally, after dinner, it was time to head back to New Haven and the real world.









It was a really wonderful trip, and I got to see some things in NYC that I hadn't seen before.  Best part was getting to experience some of it with my husband, my brother, and my in-laws.  I have some really great people in my life.  Blessed.


1 comment:

  1. Sarah, thanks so much for making Shake Shack a part of your birthday weekend (and Happy Belated Birthday!)

    Hope you had an awesome trip, and our team can't wait to see you again next time you're in the city!

    -Brandy, Shake Shack

    ReplyDelete